Photobucket

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

299.0 Autism

Monday we went to the geneticist. She observed Roman and spent about an hour with us. During that hour she confirmed (yes, another confirmation) that he is on the spectrum. She has sent out referrals to the Florida State Autism Institute and to CARD (Center for Autism Related Disabilities). She also sent copies of the transcripts from the visit to Roman's pediatrician who called me today and is setting up referrals for Speach and language therapy as well as occupational therapy. Strange how one appointment, that I truly don't feel was necessary, can open the doors for everything we have been waiting for. Also funny that all I have heard is how long it takes to get this process going and THANK GOD it wasn't an unbelievably long time for us. I probably would have lost my mind, as I was already beginning to, honestly... Dr. Parsley (geneticist) is running some labs on Roman to determine where the autism may have come from, but at this point I really don't care. I will do the labs, as she requested, but I am just thankful we are headed in the right direction with my sweet Babyman. That is all with that, so far.

Roman is starting to say a few words, and even without copying people, more and more. I posted a video to facebook on Monday of him repeating red, yellow, blue over and over on his own. Today he counted to 15 with Shenika. He has been saying "more please" a lot more often, and tonight even brought me a piece of candy and as he held it out to me, he said "please". He told people repeatedly tonight "thank you. bye" as we trick or treated. These are simple words, and I realize to some it isn't a big deal, but for us...THIS IS HUGE! Everytime I hear him say things that I can tell are real words and I can tell what he is saying, I just get this big stupid smile on my face and I swear my heart jumps up and down. Just as happy as I get over that, I get the negative emotions too, but the positives are worth every single tear that has been shed over this trying time.

We went trick or treating tonight. Roman did amazing. After the first few houses, he actually got the hang of it and was walking up, taking his candy...or few pieces because nobody would tell him no haha... and walk away only to run to the next house. He was so cute dresseed up in his bowling pin costume. I cannot tell you how much I smiled tonight. Shenika was with us and helped with Roman quite a bit. It made it much easier and less stressful for me. We went with my friend Dawn and her family. Roman truly had a great time. When we got home, he literally pulled his shoes off and crawled in my bed (still in his costume) and got ready for bed. I love love love the good behavior days and the days where he shows me just how good things CAN go. The kid melts my heart....so much.

I have to say this here.... I have the most amazing next door neighbor! Debbie has been a constant uplifting voice through all of this. She has met me in the driveway to check on Roman, the other kids, and myself. She prays for us, sometimes at 3am. She made Roman a CD with his favorite kind of music on it. She is always smiling and offering words of encouragement, even though she has her own things going on. It is truly amazing having her there on the good and bad days, always reminding me that things are going to be okay. Thanks, Debbie, for all you have done and continue to do as time goes on. I am forever thankful that you are my neighbor, friend, and another mama.

More soon, and hopefully from here on out, you will get more positive updates like this :) Thank you for the continued thoughts and prayers...they are appreciated more than any of you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment